Saturday, July 05, 2008

I was reading this morning about how the analogy of a waterfall is helping physicists explore the behavior of black holes.
Analogy is often used to help provide insight by comparing an unknown subject to one that is more familiar.
I am poised at the edge. The car is nearly packed for my trip to Marc Adams School where I will teach Box Making for a week and then a day class of Mentoring Children in Woodworking. Unlike molecules rushing from space into a black hole, my trip to Marc's won't be over a falls, but into the stream of companionship with students who love woodworking.

The interesting thing about analogy is that it paves the way for exploration. While I won't be dropping over the falls in the next few minutes, I will be in the Subaru traveling between wireless connections. Check back on Monday night and I'll have photos of students at work on boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment