Sunday, September 09, 2007

Jack McKee who has written a book Woodshop for Kids sent me the photo at left. Jack says, "A little kindergarten girl, Amanda, gave me that car after I had admired it. I tried to turn it down but she was insistent. It is
representative of the way kids build and their generosity and I love it."

I also love that car. Its design presents an understanding of the interior space rather than the exterior dimensions and form, turning the car from an impersonal object to a much more personal feeling of occupancy and engagement.

I am pleased to announce that one of my high school students, senior Paige Goodman-Wolven, won Grand Championship in the woodworking competition at the Carroll County Fair. Her box made in last year's woodworking class will go on to regional competition. Paige's box is of her own design, made with spalted maple, cherry and black walnut. Please don't ask me about the secret drawer. I'll never tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment