Saturday, September 01, 2007

I was listening to NPR today, a report about poverty in America, particularly the working poor. It was a good subject for labor day weekend. There are many people in America who work two jobs to make ends meet, and still live in poverty. I hope for those, labor day brings a day of rest with pay from both jobs.

One of the topics discussed was called the ladder. Many people in America have the opportunity to climb the "ladder" of success, moving from one position to another, taking on higher levels of responsibility and pay. But for the poor, the ladder is often short. Lacking education the ladder might lead from fry cook to sales and to local management, but very seldom beyond.

As a craftsman, I have had my own ladder. The growth is without limit. When I learned and mastered the making of mortise and tenon joints, dovetails came next. Mastering dovetails, there has always been some area in which refinement might add to the value of my experience and product.

There is a great deal to be said for craftsmanship. It is not a common topic for discussion. Here on labor day weekend, it could be.

A hand friend of mine Dr. Frank Wilson, sent me an article from the Columbia University Alumni News about Joe Youcha a Columbia graduate who runs a program for disadvantaged youth in Virginia. It is about the development of craftsmanship. In this day and age, I regard all those who do not have the opportunity to develop craftsmanship as being disadvantaged, if not in money, that at least in spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment