Wednesday, November 23, 2022

cross-cut/miter sled

I used my new design cross-cut/miter sled on Saturday with a class in Wichita, and it worked great. In fact, I used making it as a demonstration for the class.

Having only one runner allows it to be moved from one miter gauge track to the other and so as a quick introduction to the use of a sled it seems to be a winner. 

I would still opt for the reliability of a two runner sled for my regular shop work, but this will be something to demonstrate to get box makers started. The adjustable sled runner that I had featured on the FineWoodworking website was a help. https://www.finewoodworking.com/2022/10/05/adjustable-sled-runners

Making the sled less deep front to back allowed me to use an adjustable stop to control movement of the sled on the saw top. And the stops can be placed both front and back of the sled to prevent a thing I've witnessed while teaching where the novice pulls the sled back so far that it tips. 

Make, fix and create. Assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment