Monday, November 07, 2022

a nice note

I got a nice note this morning from a PhD student in the UK thanking me for my book The Wisdom of Our Hands. He said the following.

"I hope you do not mind me emailing you, but I am writing to you to firstly say hello and also thank you! 
You see, I have recently finished a paper on the philosophy of work, trying to unite what I see as the opposing view of 'manual' (such as the trades) vs 'intellectual' forms of work that sadly I see as common in society. both here and in the U.S. I wish to try and increase understanding between different professions and to fight stereotypes. Your work, especially your recent book 'The Wisdom of Our Hands' really helped and I have quoted and referenced the book in the paper. 
It really was a great read and I agree with your views about the philosophical and social value of the trades, even as a non-craftsman myself. 
I just wanted to let you know that your work is definitely having an effect!"

Of course my book is only one of many that point to the value of manual work. But observing and acknowledging the value of labor can have value. For instance, in the Minneapolis airport, I noticed one of the custodians pushing a cart stacked high with garbage up a long ramp as I was passing downhill in the other direction. With my mask on he could hardly see my smile, but he smiled in return, just to have been noticed. Acknowledgement is what human beings do for each other.

Make, fix and create. Assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment