Monday, June 25, 2018

Three things.

Normally when I teach box making, I end up getting a few boxes started as demonstrations for my students. I am taking some of these unfinished boxes to box making class today to carry a step further in the process. So while I'm helping my students make boxes I hope to use these unfinished boxes as examples and props.

I will also be making a variety of jigs during the week that will be left at ESSA for future use.

This week's class starting today is full with 9 students.

My next classes will be at the Connecticut Valley School of Woodworking  in Manchester, CT https://www.schoolofwoodworking.com/ and at the Marc Adams School of Woodworking in Franklin, IN. https://www.schoolofwoodworking.com/ Check with either of those schools for details.

The photo shows two large boxes awaiting further steps towards completion.

Yesterday our ESSA director Kelly McDonough made a presentation at our local UU fellowship. With regard to ESSA and the arts, she made three points. One is that the arts have a profound economic impact. The arts in the US contribute more dollars to the economy than agriculture. Is that not surprising? The arts bring in a balance of trade surplus.

Then there are the truly important things. The arts make us feel better, making a profound contribution to mental health. And the arts build community. Do I need to say these things? You may have discovered these three points on your own.

Make, fix, and create. Assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment