Saturday, January 20, 2018

RWS

Last night I made a presentation of my work to the Rochester Woodworker's Society at a meeting of about 70 members. Today I have a class with about 20 members to be held in a member's shop. I expect to present some information on design, will show how to make a sled and another small jig, and go through the process of making a box. I fly back to Arkansas tomorrow.

I am always made nervous by teaching a class to new students. Things never go exactly as planned. In order to be effective a class needs to be made responsive to the needs of the individual students involved. Knowing that, and as I prepare myself mentally for the start of today's lessons, I choose to relax.

One of the odd the odd things is how much time an effort we put into the attempt to create certainty, whereas uncertainty is what excites us. Today I will instruct my students in the value of surprise.

This picture of Anaxagoras, pre-Socratic philosopher who claimed that man is the wisest of all animals because he has hands.

Make, fix and create.

No comments:

Post a Comment