Wednesday, February 22, 2017

yesterday in New York

My wife, my daughter and I went to the 911 museum yesterday and outside on the museum grounds, I looked for the Callery Pear tree that had been rescued from the 911 site in the days after September 11, 2001, broken, uprooted, and yet showing signs of life. It was dug up, nurtured back to health, and has been replanted on the site.

I was made aware of this tree by the book Urban Forests by Jill Jonnes. The tree became a symbol of hope, renewal, healing and survival during a major international crisis, the repercussions of which are ongoing around the world to this day.

There is a seedling program that provides seedlings raised from this "survivor tree"to communities that have suffered tragic loss. The tag in the tree identifies it as one of the artifacts recovered from the 911 site.

As I've seen in the news, Trump attacked the news media as un-American and "enemies of the people." I'm not sure where he gets his ideas. I, like so many others am troubled. One cannot attend the 911 memorial without thinking about the sacrifices real Americans make each day, and not only during times of greatest national trauma. Dana Milbank in the Washington Post, wrote an editorial: These are the American people Trump calls enemies of the American people. Whatever Trump thinks or spews, the members of the media are true patriots.

Make, fix, create, and increase the likelihood that others learn likewise

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:38 AM

    More plants in the cities!
    I am totally a fan of this.

    Unfortnately city architects and city councils try to establish plants as parts of decoration (like seen on your pictures). For me, plants inherent a kind of wilderness; that is, what makes them beautiful to me. Not saying, that a plant for itself can be pure perfection.
    I don't know how it is in New York, but wherever I see a tree in the city, I also see a dog pooh next to it - sometimes wrapped in plastic bags...

    I see the monumental aspect a surviving tree can have. But for me a working vital ecosystem would show a greater benefit than feeding single isolated trees as kind of an artifical showroom.

    It would show both: the human's respect to the trees and other plants itself and their own connection to the ecological processes in general.

    kind regards,
    René

    ReplyDelete