Sunday, April 05, 2015

even babies are experiential learners...

Even babies are experiential learners. Does that come as a surprise? An article in the Washington Post suggests: Your baby is doing little physics experiments all the time, according to a new study.
The article notes the value of surprise. Surprise babies with what they do not expect, and they turn experimental and begin investigations. Why is that not the case in all schooling?

The educational value of surprise should no longer be surprising. Jerome Bruner had noticed the value of effective surprise which I've written about in an earlier blog post.

Also, it seems that parents have gone nuts over reading, and companies are marketing products that don't work but that are intended to make a profit on parental foolishness. Would it not be better if we were working toward giving children the powers to test and investigate the real world than to read all the 3rd hand stuff that has come to dominate our various realities?

The night before last, in my dreams I was teaching my dad to understand wood grain. It was not something that could be explained by words alone, so it required a saw and plane. Last night I dreamed about the small doors I am using on my small chapels shaped boxes. My dream involved a means of making small half circles of hardwood and fitting them into the doors. The hole for them is to be drilled using a hole cutting drill bit. Then, according to my dream, the half circles are to be turned on the lathe in a single operation and then cut apart with one part in each door to meet at the center.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment