Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Getting kids started in woodworking is not rocket science. It is easy. I am reminded of when my wife brought home books on breast feeding, lots of them, and I wondered, how there could be so much to read about something that is so basic in human experience.

But, yes, as we have gotten farther out of touch with our basic human nature, as we have been shifted and shaped and molded to fit society, (Dylan called it "being bent out of shape by society's pliers,") we do need to read a few things. And reading about how to get a kid safely started in woodworking is one of them.

Last night my wife, director of our local Carnegie Public Library brought home a book she had ordered for the library called Woodworking for Kids. I asked, "Is that the one by John Kelsey?" I have been watching for it because John Kelsey was the first editor of Fine Woodworking from the black and white days, and he has become a friend over the years. He had told me he has a new book out and would send it in the mail.

But, no. The book my wife brought home is by Kevin McGuire and published by Lark. With the world's usual coincidence, John Kelsey's book arrived in today's mail, sent to me by John for review. So I will take a few moments to review both. Of course, there will never be a Kid's woodworking book to equal Richard Starr's book Woodworking With Kids. That doesn't mean new books can't actually be better, but for me, Starr's book threw the door wide open. So, I have an emotional connection with that book that may never be duplicated.

Both of these new books, McGuire's titled Woodworking for Kids, and Kelsey's titled Woodworking and in the Kid Craft Series of Fox Chapel Press offer lots of basics. Tools, check. Wood, check. Techniques, check. Projects, check. Both offer enough information to get kids busy... and get parents inspired and confident enough to allow it. Both offer hours of fun and potential for growth. Out of the absolutely amazing number of potential projects, there are some surprising project overlaps. Both offer birdhouses, of course. Both offer rubber band powered boats. Despite the overlap I would buy both. But then, you know I'm a woodworking fanatic.

On the other hand, if I were to buy just one, I would get the one that came in today's mail. Why? The projects in McGuire's book look like they were made by adults. The ones in Kelsey's book are made by kids. You see them at work and you see the kid work imperfections in the photos of the finished work, reminding us what all this is really about. Woodworking isn't about perfection, but it is about fun and it is about growth.

As a teacher I've seen a lot of kid work, and it doesn't need to be up to an adult level of design and crafted perfection to work in the educational best interests of the child. McGuire's book, unlike Kelsey's does a small disservice to kids when he builds and finishes things to a level of precision that kids would not. Parents, far too attuned to the world of manufactured work and lacking in educational discernment may see bent nails as failure, mis-cuts and poor joints as deficiencies. And believe me, they are not. They are the triumphant signs of sincere effort, learning and growth.

John told me he was hesitant to send me his book... that he knew I might have a more critical eye than most reviewers. John, I have to assure you that on this one, I have both thumbs up... a great book, hands down.

No comments:

Post a Comment