Saturday, September 11, 2021

this morning I look back

As many are also doing this morning, I look back 20 years ago to the morning when much of our world changed. On that morning, 9/11/2001, I was just starting as a part-time woodworking teacher for kids at the brand new Clear Spring High School. As the news began coming from New York of the terror assault on the World Trade Tower, we attempted to gather around a large TV. We were all shaken. And then responding to parental desires that they be able to hold their kids close, we closed early on that terrible day.

Today is a milestone for our nation as it represents miles of twists and turns (many of them false and delusional) that followed from that day. Today also represents the start of my 20th year as a woodworking teacher of kids and marks the anniversary of the launch of my own efforts to reassert an understanding of the value of hands-on learning in our nation's schools. 

I hope to use the coming school year to look back and reflect as well as to move forward.

Make, fix and create...


No comments:

Post a Comment