Thursday, February 04, 2021

A moxon vise

Making my Moxon vise is nearly complete so I'm awaiting instruction for writing an article about it for Quercus Magazine in the UK. The article may just be a review of the kit used, or I may describe its various features. If the magazine is interested I may go through the process of building it a second time and take photos of each step. 

The Moxon vise, first described by Joseph Moxon in the 1700's is portable and is easily clamped to a work bench or table. One of its advantages is that there's quite a bit of space between the treaded rods that allows for drawer parts to be clamped for cutting dovetails. The guide bars in many vises get in the way of that. The parts kit is made available by Tay Tools, taytools.com and can also be purchased through Amazon.

I've gotten some positive feedback and direction from my publisher and am launching myself into a third draft of my new book, "Wisdom of Our Hands: Crafting Family, Community, Culture and Self," which I intend to have finished by March.

Make, fix and create. Assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment