Tuesday, June 30, 2020

A New Machine

Yesterday I finally got my new hinge slot cutting machine working. It's a project I've been working on for months, and it's great to see that it performs exactly as planned. 

I have two barbed hinge machines now. One is set up for a larger size hinge and this one is to cut very small slots for a smaller barbed hinge that I plan to use with cedar boxes. It will also help me to return to making small hardwood boxes that I've not made in years.

Cedar boxes have a very long history in Ozark Mountain tourism. The smell of cedar inside a box and a clever message on the outside can lure folks to buy one and take it home. 

My plan is to have some  boxes laser engraved to be sold from museum stores and tourist shops. Once developed it could be a business that I sell or pass along to another craftsman.

This is a project I set up for myself as a way to be productive (and sane) during the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment