Thursday, May 09, 2019

shaping wood

I am using an angle grinder to shape the inside curvature of the coopered leg sections for the maple natural edged table. This turns out to be an easier job than I expected.

I test the curved surface as I go, using my hands to judge whether the surface is "fair" just as the builder of a small boat might use his hands to "see" what the hands cannot. Where the hands feel a slight rise, I sand again, using the curved edge of the sanding disk to engage the surface rather than the flat face.

It needs not be perfect but to the touch. After texturing any discrepancy will be difficult to see. But caring craftsmanship has its own requirements. In the making of useful beauty, all surfaces require care.

This is a dusty job, requiring a mask. I tested the concept indoors in my already dusty shop, but will take the operation outdoors when the weather improves.

Make, fix, create. Use your imagination and character to grow likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment