Tuesday, September 26, 2017

use it!

Yesterday my high school students continued exercise in framing square math and I learned through it that some were having trouble with fractions. One said, "I learned fractions in 4th grade, but haven't used them since." But being unable to measure accurately is a handicap. We gain ease in using and understanding fractions by using them, and using them again and again.

Following Joe Youcha's book, "Framing Square Math," I cut a series of pine blocks of varying dimensions, and stamped them with letters so they could be identified and reused. The exercise requires each student to choose two, and then to use a framing square to measure them, length, width and height.

I assured my students that it was an exercise, and not a test. The test comes when they are required to make something that works, and that fits. But they each wanted me to double check their work to see that they got it right.

Today I will be installing hinges in boxes prior to sanding and finish.

Make, fix, create, and increase the likelihood that others learn lifewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment