Wednesday, December 07, 2016

hinges, fine woodworking, rubber bands and student made gifts...

I have an article in the new issue of Fine Woodworking on the selection of hinges, and a tip about making your own box making clamps. This is issue number 259, February 2017. I received copies in the mail yesterday as well as an inquiry from a reader. The tip is on page 17 and the article begins on page 50.

I spent most of the day yesterday writing text for my box guitar making book which I hope to have completed during this week. I submitted two chapters today. All together, there will be 10 chapters with two to complete before the editing process begins.

Today my first through sixth grade students and teachers will present student made toys for holiday distribution through our local food bank. The point of course is not that the children at the food bank need the toys that our students have made, but that our students need to learn generosity and to put themselves into relationships of service to the community. A child that may serve others in some real way represents the future of our human culture.

On the subject of box making, a reader asked about the large rubber bands that I use to assemble boxes in my books and DVD on box making. At one time, I simply went into our local office supply store and bought the largest sizes they had in one pound boxes, without paying much attention to the numeric size. But our office supply store closed last year, and ordering online requires precise information.

Here is what I recommend:

Go to Amazon.com and order rubber bands in sizes 105, 107 and 109. These may be a bit large for some of the smallest boxes you would make, but those can be assembled using more common off-the-shelf rubber bands that you would find in your desk drawer or in any big box store.

Make, fix, create, and extend toward others the likelihood of learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment