Tuesday, February 04, 2014

man, the practical being...

" ...man, whatever else he may be, is primarily a practical being, whose mind is given him to aid in adapting him to this world's life.” -- William James. Talks To Teachers On Psychology; And To Students On Some Of Life's Ideals, 1899.
I have been in South Florida with my deceased brother-in-law's extended family, and watching the interaction between generations. Matti Bergström had said that human culture must arise anew with each succeeding generation. Life's lessons are learned most thoroughly when they are delivered by experience rather than dictation. And so it is interesting to observe generations at work. I will be home in Arkansas tomorrow and am pleased to have the wood shop awaiting me.

When I've been away for a few days and have returned home,  I can turn on the jointer and feel as a coarse board becomes smooth to the touch. The sense of home and security that thus arises in me, is tactile. We are lessened in character, and demeanor when we are placed out of context, and being out of context for even a short time, can bring renewed joy when we are home again.

Make, fix and create... help others to do likewise. Your example may suffice.

No comments:

Post a Comment