Monday, January 30, 2012

Strå, kvist, gren...

Straw, twig, branch...

These were among the materials that formed the foundation of human culture.

This morning I picked up an old notebook which I brought back from Sweden and in which I had written notes about a revolution in education based upon crafts. I had been looking for a notebook to keep at my bedside to record dreams, as part of an assignment for a Jung study group, but I put this one back on my desk as the notes seemed important enough to look at again.

These notes were jotted down as I was listening to a lecture by Lois Hetland, author of Studio Thinking. You might enjoy reading a bit from Lois Hetland direct, Why do we need the studio thinking framework anyway? Or you might enjoy reading one of my earlier posts, Arts and Smarts.


Today I had classes with the 4th, 5th and 6th grade students and high school. The elementary students worked on their sand boxes and the high school students made tools. A wood handled stone tool is shown above. Dax used raw hide strips they tanned themselves to make the leather wrap to attach the stone to wood.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment