Tuesday, May 31, 2011

quotes

Today, I am writing an article for Fine Woodworking, reviewing my Building Small Cabinets book and attempting to get an idea what it would cost to manufacture a new tool for woodworking. On the subject of woodworking education, I have these quotes:
I read Shakespeare and the Bible, and I can shoot dice. That's what I call a liberal education. ~Tallulah Bankhead

A child educated only at school is an uneducated child. ~George Santayana

Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one. ~Malcolm S. Forbes
My review of Veritas Detail Rabbet Planes in Fine Woodworking arrived today, FWW NO. 220, August 2011. My article on making a Sliding Bookrack will appear in the August/September issue of American Woodworker.

The following article, Cause for alarm: Antipsychotic drugs for nursing home patients contends that we are over medicating our nursing home patients to keep them quiet and manageable. I have news. We never outgrow our need to be creatively engaged through our hands. What a waste we create of our lives when we deprive ourselves and others of the fulfillment that comes from creative work expressed through our hands. As I have been engaged today in computer based work, rather than in the wood shop, I feel disoriented and slightly depressed. But fortunately I know how to fix that. I go to the shop and make something.

Go ahead, make your day, make, fix and create.

1 comment:

  1. I like the last quote best, it's fitting for me to think about this as I struggle to reach my students who are struggling.

    Thanks-

    Chris

    ReplyDelete