Monday, February 22, 2010

lucy's toolkit

Lucy's tool kit, which I made in response to the near complete absence of tools as she entered college will be published by agreement with Woodworker's Journal. This will be the first article I've had in Woodworker's Journal since the late 1990's, and they were the first magazine to publish my project articles. I want to welcome myself back. Woodworker's Journal published this Craftsman's Profile about my work in in 1996.

When my wife and daughter and I arrived at Columbia University for Lucy's freshman year, there were hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of laptops, iPods and iPhones on her floor alone, but no hammer, no pliers and no screw driver anywhere to be found. Lucy could have bought what she needed in one of my favorite hardware stores in the world, University Hardware across from Columbia University on Broadway. But it was more fun to call dad. The article is intended to help explain that our kids, despite the power of the technological devices we provide, must be equipped with real tools if they are going to thrive, even in our internet age. What good is a laptop, if you can't actually do diddly squat?

We had a great day in school, with the 4th, 5th and 6th graders continuing work on their books, and the 10th, 11th and 12th grade students working on independent projects.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:52 AM

    I remember when you made that tool kit. I imagine it has gotten a lot of use since then. As my grandmother would have said about Lucy, "la criaron bien" (she was raised right).

    Mario

    ReplyDelete