Wednesday, June 25, 2008

After spending days on the computer, writing a chapter for the book, and working on a grant application to cover expenses of further research on Sloyd, I finally have gotten back to work, making a rustic chair. The photo at left shows a couple things you might want to note. You start out with the back legs and try to select your material so that the legs are roughly uniform in size and have a similar curvature. Of course these aren't hard and fast rules for chair making, but will make my work a bit easier. I have been enjoying the fact that rustic work gets me out of the shop. I get to work outside. Also, as I drive up and down our drive, I notice species of wood, noting the size and curvature, thinking "maybe I'll come back later and make something!"

No comments:

Post a Comment