Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I spent the day sanding and oiling small boxes to fill an order. Today was my last day before teacher meetings start and my school year moves into full swing, so I made the most of my freedom by giving the shop my near total attention.

I had a dream last night in which I was explaining sailing of small class boats to a friend. When two boats are identical in design and equipment, two young sailors, side by side can observe the exact consequences of very small changes in the complexities involved in sailing that are present in even the most simple of boat designs... Comparing their boat's performance to an equal neighbor can allow them to come to an understanding of the most subtle effects of sail, balance, wind and rudder.

And of course it is difficult to draw precise lessons from either wood shop or life in exactly the same manner. No two of us carry the same sails or have the same hull design, ballast or rudder.

But a young man or woman in wood shop can gain a great deal of valuable information by observing as others work to gain skill. It is just one of the small, unrecognized values of working in the company of others. In most schools, students may observe differences when the grades are passed out... a bit late to make adjustments of sail, trim or rudder.

I had the pleasure of visiting The North Bennet St. School a few years back, and guess what I found? Students taking time to learn from and encourage each other. It is a lot like sailing a small boat in the company of friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment