Sunday, August 12, 2007

Back in late October, 2001, I had flown to the east coast for the first meeting of the New England Association of Woodworking Teachers, and when I boarded my flight from Providence, Rhode Island for my return flight though Chicago, I sat next to a friendly, round black woman with whom I found myself immersed in instant conversation. At that point, after the tragic 9/11 terror attack, all flyers were jittery and rather uncomfortable, so to sit next to such a friendly and outgoing passenger was a a welcomed relief.

We talked about our occupations and travels, and when I told her that I was a woodworking teacher, she lit up. She told me that her best and most vivid memories of high school were the days she spent in wood shop. I've since learned that this kind of deep connection between woodworking and memory is common. I've heard the same stories from others and have my own memories to examine.

The word that applies here is retention. You can teach people to pass tests, with memories held for the time required for success and no more. Some people are better at this than others. Most clear their minds to make room for the next set of required information, and most of the time spent in school, learning for the short term is wasted time, having value only in sorting those who test well from those who don't.

When the hands are engaged in real work and the learning is emotionally charged with the desire for tangible success, memories are made that last a lifetime. You could take my word for it or listen to my friend on the flight from Providence to O'Hare. Better yet, look back in your own memories and see what you find. If you find I am mistaken, let me know. If you find I am right, tell others. It is important that we use our own wisdom and experience to build better educational opportunities for our children. It is all about the hands and the heart, and the wisdom that grows from the point at which they intersect.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:55 AM

    Hi Doug, this is an interesting use of wood: http://www.mateoilasco.com/shop/notecards_walnutboh.html

    always thinking of my friends!h

    ReplyDelete