Wednesday, August 28, 2024

wood samples

I've finished labeling and finishing wood samples for the reliquaries. The photo shows 28 different species of wood, all from Arkansas. I turn them to look like little people that children might find in a set of blocks. But later editions of the project may take a simpler approach allowing me to have the names of the woods laser engraved on each piece. My old man handwriting is not as legible as I would like. 

One of the things you may notice in working with Arkansas woods is that they may not be quite as colorful as some imported tropical woods, but they still offer enough variety of color to do interesting things. And we know where they grow, and can devote some resources in making sure they'll be around for the next generation to enjoy.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment