Thursday, May 02, 2024

today boxes

Yesterday I took portable workbenches  and various clamping devices to the Clear Spring School wood shop so that middle school students could test them and provide feedback. They decided that the most recent designed by Mike Taylor was best and noted that it could be mounted to tables of different heights. They liked the way the flipper handles worked and were amazed at how strong the front vise was for holding wood. 

They were most impressed when I pulled some Veritas planes out from storage, as they'd never planed wood before. So I set up additional stock in other benches for them to practice on.

Next week while they are off camping I plan to spend a day with their teacher, giving him lessons on how to keep them sharp. It felt great to be back on the Clear Spring School campus with a few kids.

Today I signed sixteen inlaid boxes, and began applying a Danish oil finish consisting of two parts polyurethane, one part linseed oil and one part mineral spirits. I set up a table under the protection of our front porch so Rosie and I could sit outside and observe a gentle rain. 

An essay I've written for the Hedgehog Review is being edited for publication online and I'll post a link when it's available to read.

Make, fix and create... Assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment