Monday, March 19, 2018

How the hands shape the brain...

A video shown on CBS Sunday Morning https://www.cbsnews.com/news/handiwork-how-busy-hands-can-alter-our-brain-chemistry/ features two correspondents of mine, Kelly Lambert and Matthew Crawford. I have written about both before in the blog.  Matthew Crawford has in turn written about my writing, first quoting me at the beginning of chapter one of his first book, and then devoting the last chapter of his last book to explore the meaning of the same quote which follows:
In Schools we create artificial learning environments for our children that they know to be contrived and undeserving of their full attention and engagement… Without the opportunity to learn through the hands, the world remains abstract, and distant, and the passions for learning will not be engaged. --Wisdom of the Hands blog post of October 16, 2006
The video illustrates how the use of the hands actually alters brain chemistry, leading us to live happier and more productive lives. My earlier review of Matthew Crawford's book that I wrote for Northern Woodlands, can be found here: http://wisdomofhands.blogspot.com/2009/09/book-review.html

Yesterday I rearranged wood drying at ESSA for my class on building a Viking Chest. It had gone from sopping wet, to 15% though having it stickered on the floor and with an oscillating fan moving air through the pile of wood for the last two weeks. It should go from 15% to 7% by June 15, being stickered in the wood rack as shown.

I also worked on a long overdue cleaning of my home wood shop and began preparing for photos for a new workbook, helping teachers (and parents)  teach wood working to kids.

Make, fix, and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment