Sunday, August 28, 2016

the third thread.

I have been in the process of building a new website, and have been trying to gather the necessary photos and text for my web designer make a good site. My present website has served like a weary horse but has received too little of my attention for years. Yesterday's post was an attempt to review some of the philosophy that has driven my work, but in it, I overlooked a third thread, as follows:
"The third thread is knowing that we have a responsibility to teach each other what we know. Doing is one thing, sharing it another. Sharing my skills with others accelerates my own learning and furthers my own appreciation of nature’s beauty and the craft of woodworking. Plus, it, too, is a joy to do."
I think I have a clear grip on the reason for Donald Trump's popularity. People want the license to say whatever comes to mind, to speak in an unfiltered manner without being called out for being rude, selfish and insensitive. But, I'm sorry, things just don't work that way... In real life when rude, thoughtless, and insensitive things are said people take offense and feel hurt. They may respond to boorish behavior and speech even if you are hiding out in the darkest and most vile parts of the internet.

On the other hand, there are real things that we learn from real craftsmanship. We learn that what we think has direct impact on what we do and what we make. For good work, the thoughts must be aligned with a higher purpose and strong values. So it might seem simplistic to suggest craftsmanship as the solution to all that ails us. But let's give it some thought... and then...

Make, fix, create, and extend to others the hope of learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment