Thursday, December 06, 2007

What you see in the photo at left is a cherry cradle I made over 25 years ago. It is in the shop for clean-up and renewal prior to be loaned out for one more child. I originally made it as part of a small series of cradles, and this is the one that didn't sell. My wife and I began lending it to friends. When our daughter was born it became Lucy's cradle and was featured in Woodwork magazine in the US and then in Practical Woodworker in the UK. It has at last count had nearly twenty children in it, so it was due for a fresh coat of Danish oil before going to its next assignment. Teacher Pete Golden and his wife Cora are expecting their first child in January, so the cradle must be delivered soon!

It is interesting for me to revisit a piece I had made a quarter century before. I have grown a great deal in the refinement of my work and also in confidence of my own artistic vision and understanding of materials and processes. And yet, as a kid, I made the thing that has held so many children, has rocked so many times, squeaks a bit more than it should, but still could be readied for use with just a wiping of oil. Ah, the wonders of wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment