Friday, September 14, 2007

Of course, Clear Spring School isn't the only school in America doing what we do in the woodshop. The School In Rose Valley has a program led by Mike Nowell

Mike describes the hidden value of woodworking education. What he says applies to children of all ages.

The Hidden Agenda of Preschool Shop
by Mike Nowell

Visitors, prospective parents and new school parents are often taken aback by the thought of three and four year olds engaging in woodworking. Their general focus on either the novel "cuteness" of small children plying full-sized tools or the potential dangers of same can distract them from seeing that there is quite a bit more going on in the program than children learning how to nails together pieces of scrap wood. While the following list of the program's intentional structures and rules teamed with the explicit and implicit messages and lessons conveyed to preschool children is considerably less than exhaustive, my hope is that it provides a glimpse behind the curtain of what's really going on in Shop.

* I get to build almost anything I want: My ideas are valued.
* I must do my own work: I am capable. I am responsible.
* I must finish what I start: I value my own ideas. I am mindful of resources.
* I only take two or three pieces of wood at a time: I can consider the needs of others.
* I am taught how to use tools safely: My teachers care that I am safe. I am trusted.
* There are not enough hammers for everyone to claim one for him/herself: I can share. I can be patient.
* There are not enough teachers to help everyone at once: I can take turns. My classmates and I can help each other.
* I can't always finish my project in a single period: My ideas are worth extended effort. I can postpone my gratification. I can weather disappointment.
* It is okay to make mistakes: Learning new skills takes time. I don't expect myself to be perfect.
* My teacher takes notes about my work: My efforts are valued. I can reflect on my actions and choices.
* My teacher is "silly": My teacher enjoys working and playing with me.

Together, the children and I are building a good deal more in Shop than the wooden artifacts suggest.


The photo above is one of Mike's students at work. More photos are available on the school's wood shop website.

No comments:

Post a Comment