Monday, September 10, 2007


Jack McKee, author of Woodshop for Kids sent the following note:

Trying to get people interested in wood working with kids is kind of like trying to pump out the Titanic, nevertheless, once you've helped a group of kids build something their excitement is contagious. You would not believe (you would Doug) how many parents of those hands-on learners have come to me and said something like, "you know its amazing, but since my child took your class they are doing much better in school." The wisdom of the hands, I guess.

I do have quite a few things to say about woodworking with kids. Any interested adult can help kids build. Building tops, and puzzles, and boxes and stools is not rocket science. Hand tools, only, to begin. Don't even think about power tools. Start them young, really young. Kids can use saws and hammers at 3 or 4 years old. What they remember is not the details of using tools but idea that they can build.

I didn't start out to teach kids woodworking. I was staying home taking care of my two boys and needed time to work on the house so I was always looking for ways they could entertain themselves. I was awake enough, however, to notice how much they liked it. If they had a couple friends over they could while away an afternoon without too much help. And they were careful. When I later volunteered in the schools I noticed kids weren't having a lot of fun. At the very least the little woodworking projects I set up were fun. Later, I worked at a Montessori school doing "shop" class with 3-6 year olds and taught (and still teach) a summer woodworking class. These classes taught me kids can do much more than I had thought. I am still amazed how much they like it.

As any carpenter knows, the little details of any new area of woodworking take time to work through. If I've done anything, its work out a lot of those details on how to work with kids and what kinds of mistakes they make. Its a matter of spending the time setting things up so kid will be successful. If you don't have the details worked out its easy for kids to get bogged down and discouraged by detours. There are enough detours in woodworking even if things are going right.

All in all, woodworking with kids is the most fun, interesting and meaningful woodworking I've ever done.

Jack

The image above is work by one of Jack's students.

No comments:

Post a Comment