Monday, August 27, 2007

In today's convocation at Columbia, one of the deans mentioned the need to listen attentively to those who think differently from yourself. Later in private conversation, he mentioned the need to "think outside the box." As a long time maker of wooden boxes, I have explored the concept, to think inside, outside, and most specifically, the corners that define its essential nature.

In exploring the university, as it exists in America at the present time, my own thinking outside the box calls once again for the engagement of the hands. In an age of specialization, I can tell a few things about the hands and how they shape learning... lessons that demand attention and at least an ear and full hearing from the academic community.

My challenge is this: Our universities exist in cities and communities with buildings built with hand and heart driven technologies that have been ignored and forgotten by those communities. I have mentioned before the tragedy of Yale... the world's most beautiful hand-crafted stone buildings occupied by generations of students having little or no true appreciation of the hand-on intelligence invested as craftsmanship in their education.

In response to this situation, I plan to begin work on an initiative to place hand skills for University students on the national agenda. It may take years and years to accomplish. For long generations, hand skills have been marginalized in academia. At Columbia, diversity is a priority. How about diversity that comes to a clear recognition of the vast contributions, not of money but of skill and craftsmanship. Don't hold your breath for my success. But give me a hand. In the coming years, I'll be working on it. If you have ideas to share or wish to help, send me an email from the link at right.

No comments:

Post a Comment