Wednesday, September 04, 2024

making wooden hinges

In the shop I'm setting up to make small wooden hinges. Unlike those I've made in the past, these are made with thinner stock and utilize 1/16 in. brass rod as the hinge pins. My plan is to use the wooden hinges on small white oak reliquaries. The hinges will fold in two points, allowing the sides and roof sections to fold flat giving easy access to the samples of wood within.

I'm working from a picture in my head so the plans may evolve. My first test hinges are reasonably robust. Even in a smaller size they appear clunky. But don't worry, they can be made much more interesting and beautiful.

This link is to my article in Fine Woodworking #234.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2013/06/06/wooden-box-hinges

Make, fix and create. Assist others in learning lifewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment