Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day, 40 years later.

As a student at Hastings College in Nebraska I took part in the first Earth Day celebrations, 40 years ago. It seemed such a glorious thing, that my generation was rising to give earth its due... rising to act against the misuse and abuse by earlier generations. And now I look back in horror at what we have allowed to be done. The promise of those earlier days was squandered.

And yet, I have hopes. There is a simple fix. Plant, fix, make simple things that enhance life and reflect craftsmanship. Care for things; care for each other. Make music and dance. Live, love, and create. When your self-esteem arises through your own creative hands, your need to consume thoughtlessly and needlessly diminishes in direct proportion to your rising competence and confidence.

Happy Earth Day. Make something beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome--I read it to my whole family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. earth day can seem so forgetable these days. You write a good reminder of meaning.

    ReplyDelete