Monday, December 25, 2023

beyond troubled times

We seem to live in troubled times, and yet when we take matters into our own creative hands, things seem to fall into a better place. It might be easy to fall into despair, but it's also easy to surrender to the help and companionship of friends.  Lacking friends at hand, your own hands can be your friends, luring you into a meditative state. 

I have found that I've been given a great gift in that I'm given the opportunities to teach, both through my books and articles and through classes. When we empower others to discover their own creativity, expressed in the making useful beauty we are helping to create the world of peace and joy that all long for. 

Along with season’s greetings and holiday cheer, I’m imagining all the wonderful things students have made as Christmas gifts this year, as well as all the wonderful things my students have helped others to make. Perhaps there are a few boxes among those lovely things.

I was sent this lovely photo of things a member of the Oregon Woodworking Guild had made from "scrap". The box holding the kitchen utensils is as lovely as the beautifully figured wood within.

Merry Christmas. May we each find moments of creative joy in the coming year.

Make, fix and create...

No comments:

Post a Comment