Friday, March 31, 2023

today in the wood shop!

Today in the wood shop I'm cutting dovetails using the Moxon vise that I made for an article in Quercus to hold the stock. It works well. I'm also using a dovetail marking gauge I developed with the help of Veritas tools to mark the lines along which to cut. 

This marking gauge is unlike the other marking gauges on the market in several ways. It has a scale allowing the dovetails to be scaled up or down from a central mark. That mark can be seen rather than hidden by the body of the jig. So instead of measuring this side and then that side, measuring for each pin or tail is reduced to one mark.

Another advantage is that with the outside edges being square, it serves also as a square in laying out the other marks required.

Veritas chose not to put this jig into production, but at least I have one for my own use. I can understand why they chose not to produce this marking gauge as there are many competitors on the market and to see the value of this one requires some fresh thinking and for me to teach its value.

Make, fix and create... Assist others in learning lifewise.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:10 PM

    I love what you are doing and want to learn more

    ReplyDelete