Friday, December 09, 2022

kerf hinges

Several years ago I published books and articles featuring an easy way to hinge a wooden box using barbed or kerf hinges. I used a Bosch trim saw blade mounted in the router table to make the slots needed for the hinges to fit. Then the Bosch trim saw blade went out of production and I had to re-engineer my approach using a machine I made myself. This put the use of the hinges out of range of most casual woodworkers.

Yesterday I discovered a substitute for the Bosch trim saw blade that's shown in the photo.

The use of barbed or kerf hinges is one area of box making that has been of great interest to my students so it is good to once again offer a simple approach that will be accessible to more woodworkers and at a lower cost. The hinges are useful for small to medium size boxes and are very easy to install. But even with the return of the necessary cutter and assembly an investment of time will be required in setting up for its use. The cutter and assembly can be found here: https://norfield.com/nor92834-kerfing-blade-assembly.html For instructions for set up and use of kerf hinges refer to my book, Complete Illustrated Guide to Box Making. https://amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Guide-Making/dp/1561585939/

Make, Fix and Create. You have 16 making days before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment