Sunday, September 04, 2022

in the woods...

With the planet being overpopulated as it is, I'm fully aware of the gifts of living where I do in the forest of Northwest Arkansas. What you see in the photo is what I see on my first brief dog walk in the AM— The sun's first light coming from behind a hill and slicing through the woods.

I have an app to recommend that's provided by National Geographic. It is called "Seek" and can be found online for your phone, too. It allows you to accurately identify individual plants from among thousands of species, and it's like walking with an expert through the forest. 

Once a plant is identified, it will provide access to a database giving additional information about that plant. And it's 100% free. 

Knowing more about each plant species allows me to know which species are invasive and it is surprising how much of our local forest has been disturbed by the introduction of species from other continents. Life is wild and its compulsion to renew itself is without surcease. 

In the meantime, nature is an incredible healing force. It pays huge dividends to immerse oneself in it, even if it requires you to have an app on your phone to do so. 

In the wood shop I've finished inlaying about 50 box lids and will begin preparing for assembly. I don't push the process as hard as I did in my younger years, but have refined the process so that much of it is easy for me, and I've galleries wanting the work.

Make, fix and create. Assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment