Sunday, June 13, 2021

How to think outside your brain.

A former student of mine from Marc Adams School of Woodworking sent me this article from the New York Times, https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/11/opinion/brain-mind-cognition.html It suggests that we learn to think outside our brains. Makes sense, right? As a friend of mine suggested many years ago, "there's a real world out there." If we're not paying attention to it, we're really missing out.

But can you just think things through remaining inside your head? What a dumb place to  hang out.

I noted to my friend that I play a word game on my iPad and there are times when I get stumped. If I do something else for a few minutes or move physically to a new location in the house or on the porch, I look at the puzzle with fresh eyes and the missing word becomes clear.

In the old days when folks my age then were taking acid and dropping out, the guide words were  to pay attention to "set and setting." Set had to do with having the right attitude and support entering into the experiment, and setting had to do with dropping acid in a friendly spot that would support a positive experience.

To deny that where we are has impact on how we think is foolish.

I was listening to a report on NPR about how the right introduction to a standardized test can cause minorities and women to perform several points higher. Given the right verbal cues at the beginning of a test can equalize test results between races and genders. This calls into question, yet again, the ridiculousness of American subservience to the standardized testing industry.

Make, fix and create. Assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment