Thursday, April 22, 2021

tops

Yesterday I introduced my Kindergarten students to making tops. Each made one and then of course wanted to make more to share with their families. I have a small drill press set up for making wheels and it's safe enough that my lower elementary school students can use it without supervision. With the Kindergarten students, I supervised closely, making certain that each wheel blank was secure before the student turned on the drill and turned the handle to lower the drill into the stock. 

With hand crank drills mounted in vises, the students can decorate the tops with colored pencils and markers.

To mount the drills in the vise, I cut v shaped grooves in pieces of 2 x 4 lumber and then used u-bolts to secure the handles of the drills in the blocks.

The students left with pockets full of tops, some decorated and other to be taken back to class for further embellishment. And now with the students knowing how to drill the centers of wheel blanks, they're ready to make cars and trucks in next week's class. 

Make, fix, create and assist others in learning likewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment