Sunday, June 02, 2019

bring the tool to the wood

In the age of large power tools in the common woodworking shop, the general practice is to bring the wood to the tool. This is not the case when the wood becomes too heavy to move with ease. The six and a half foot long 2 5/8 in. x 7 1/2 in. white oak board is right at the edge of my ability to lift safely (even through I work out regularly). There was no way to move it safely across the jointer in my shop. I also did not have a bench capable of holding it securely enough for the rigorous exercise of hand planing.

The ideal solution for squaring one edge was to use the power plane shown. It is a lovely and effective tool for the purpose of straightening out a long board. It has an edge guide that helps to hold it square to the stock. Two other things you see in the photo (besides mess) are a combination square used to check for square and a walnut board that I used to check that there were no dips or high spots along the length of the board as my work quickly progressed. The other important tool is the eye. You use it to sight along the edge to make dead certain that the wood is straight over its whole length.

This oak board will connect the coopered leg sections of the large table I'm making in the wood shop. It feels good to step outside of box making on occasion. I learn from it.

I have the first of my bags packed for my trip to the Marc Adams School of Woodworking where my classes begin on June 10.

Make, fix, create. Assist others in growing likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment