Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Making a quick ladder...

I like engineering projects that allow me to use my skills. The 1st through 4th grade teachers had set up a reading loft between their classes. But how could the children get up in it? A ladder was called for.

Things are made relatively easy when the tools, materials and skill are in place. Having skills in woodworking has allowed me to help my fellow teachers in preparing their classrooms for the return of our kids.

I have been hearing from my adult students from this summer's classes. They have been making good use of what they learned.

In the meantime, I've been sending off chapter text, photos and sidebars to my editors. Today I will be machining box parts in my wood shop, sending off more chapter text and photos for the current book project.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning likewise.

1 comment:

  1. I teach wood working and construction at a large urban high school. This is the beginning of our second year having a woods program again (it's been a generation). I have up a bunch of planning time to help fix things and make things for my fellow teachers (next year I hope to have a cadre of students able to figure things out). Part of the ethos of our class is Carpenters Build Communities.

    ReplyDelete