Thursday, August 16, 2018

a warning, our nation in red...

New York Governor Cuomo got in trouble for saying America is not quite so great as we think we are.  But what's the truth here? You might be interested in where the US stands in relation to other developed nations.

We think of the US as being the "greatest nation on earth." We have the missiles to prove it. But we are deficient in a number of the most important ways. How do we care for our people? https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2011/10/29/opinion/29blow-ch.html Education is one. My wife and I will visit Helsinki in September and I'm attempting to gain an opportunity to visit a Finnish School as a way of highlighting their educational success story. Visiting schools in Finland is a popular pastime and a small industry of sorts. A tour can be expensive and only touch on the surface of things. So I do not know how successful I'll be in gaining the insight I hope to attain.

In any case, this chart from the New York Times in 2011 shows our standing. You'll find the US portrayed in red.

At the Clear Spring School classrooms are in disarray as teachers try to prepare for students to return on August 26-30 for conferences and classes.

Yesterday I shipped the Governor's award bases for Arkansas Quality, and today I will return attention to my book on training teachers, parents and grandparents to do woodworking with kids.

Make, fix, create, and assist in building a more reasonable, equitable and just society in the US. It may take decades to do so.


No comments:

Post a Comment