Sunday, April 09, 2017

Making a cherry tool chest.

Yesterday I went to an open house for prospective A+ Schools fellows. It was held at the Thea Foundation headquarters in Little Rock. The idea of A+ Schools is to put the arts back in schools, and it is my hope that Clear Spring School and our staff can help. A+ and the Thea Foundation are attempting to do on a large scale what Clear Spring School has done for years. They became interested in my participation because they know that wood working belongs in all schools.

I also assembled the drawer for a cherry tool box that I'm making to test and demonstrate the Woodhaven Portable Box Joint Jig. I used the jig to make the box joints joining the sides of the box, and the joints at the back of the drawer. I used cherry slides  to support the drawer in the cherry case and will strengthen the construction by adding a base.

There is a problem with jigs that allow things to be so quickly made. In a day or so, I can make an object that if cared for will last a lifetime, and I could get carried away by too easily making too much stuff in a world that is already overrun with too much stuff.  I expect this tool chest to be useful when I travel or teach, and it will be used to organize some of the small objects and supplies that take up space on shelves in my finish room. When it no longer serves, it can be composted with no ill effects on the environment.

I have ordered rustic steel handles, hinges and a hasp. The drawer will have a hand turned pull, and I'll use turn buttons to lock the drawer closed for transport.

Make, fix, create and prove that others can learn likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment