Thursday, April 27, 2017

batman and mom


I made some progress on my post card for the Incredible Edible fundraising auction at the Eureka Springs School of the Arts in June. A number of local artists were invited to make postcards of their own design, and mine is being made of wood.

I went to the post office yesterday to check to see if the ink they use to cancel stamps is effected by the Danish Oil finish I use. 

After I explained my mission, the clerk asked, "You are not going to really mail that are you?" My test proved that I can get the stamp cancelled first and then apply the Danish oil over their ink to provide a finish.

Water based inks like that in a gel pen, or post office cancellation stamp go well with oil finishes, whereas solvent based inks, like that from a Sharpie will be carried by the oil finish into the surrounding wood.

My elementary school students have continued making caped super heroes. Whether in first grade or in 6th, the enthusiasm has been the same. One first grader made two figures, batman and mom, as shown in the photo. (Facebook readers will have to go to the blog to see) For batman, he decided to use dowels for ears.

Today I will begin moving the first of the equipment into the new wood shop at the Eureka Springs School of the Arts.

Make, fix, create, and increase the likelihood of others learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment