Thursday, April 07, 2016

It's too hard.

Ozric frets
I invited one of my students to try the new stock knife made for Clear Spring School by Bob Patrick. He quickly informed me that it was too hard for him. I would have been embarrassed to have given up so quickly. But  I was raised before digital technology came forth to make everything that was once difficult for most, easy enough that it can be done by anyone with a smart phone. I was aware at an early age that I felt better about myself when I did difficult things, and I learned that by being challenged to do such things.

Researcher Kelly Lambert described "effort driven rewards" that come when we attempt to do difficult things. If we choose to only do those things that are easy for us, we deprive ourselves of the neuro-hormones that help to sustain a positive sense of self. We are also damaged long-term when we fail to amount to much other than what everyone else can do pretty much in their sleep.

I was also intrigued by an interview with Hope Jahren in Time Magazine. She is a geobiologist and in response to women tweeting images of their freshly decorated nails, she tweeted images of her own hard working (soiled) hands with the idea that hands are essential expressions of our humanity, and that hands that actually accomplish real things deserve as much attention (or more) as those used only as adornment.

Yes we know that hands can be beautiful, and that they are central to the human experience, and its OK to spend some time keeping them lovely. Others might (on the other hand) become interested in being of some special service to themselves and to humanity and get dirty in the process.

Hope Jahren's book Lab Girl deserves its standing as a best seller. And the interview in Time Magazine might lead you to understand why.

I wonder why almost all those involved in science seem to have a higher degree of common sense, while so many in the national political arena do not. Can it have something to do with the hands? Charles H. Hamm had said that while the mind seeks the truth,  the hands find it. Lawyers in politics tend to think truth has to do with what you can convince others. But you can't use your words to simply change reality at a whim, no matter how many nincompoops you can persuade to your false position. Reality has its way of catching up.

Janie's TV
I am now nearly finished with my tiny boxes book. All the needed files, photographs, drawings and materials lists have been reviewed and delivered, so the book has been moved to the production stage.

Make, fix, create, and extend to others the love of learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment