Tuesday, April 12, 2016

build 25?

Yesterday I received an advanced copy of my new book Build 25 Beautiful Boxes to review and correct prior to its release in May. I am given a few days to read through and suggest limited changes I might make. It is a well crafted compilation of projects from my first two books and includes the philosophical sidebars that I had hoped would lead woodworkers to think more deeply about their work. It's rewarding for me to see my old books given new life.

At school yesterday, my 4th 5th and 6th grade students finished their tools for their trip to South Arkansas. they made sieves for diamond mining, and digging tools for crystal digging, and by tonight will be at Old Washington where they will have a dance. Travel school at CSS is a way to make real that which they've studied or will study in the classroom, and its true that being there and doing real things enhances the depth of learning and the depth of engagement.

Our students, in their travels, also bring back to school ideas that make Clear Spring School a better place. Our school Ga Ga court is an example, as the students brought back the experience of playing the game from travel to a neighboring state.

The guitar above is one that I've made for a charity auction in support of an old friend. One of my students has agreed to paint it, and it will be a gift to the auction from Clear Spring School. I'll give boxes.

Make, fix, create, and extend to others the chance of learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment