Monday, March 21, 2016

hands on learning symposium

Yesterday we held a symposium for educators at Catlin-Gabel School in Portland. It was attended by about 30 teachers and educational enthusiasts. I made presentations on the Wisdom of the Hands philosophy, various teachers explained their programs, we took a tour of the Catlin-Gabel Woodshed, we did exercises in educational sloyd, and gave away gifts from both Lee-Valley and Vaughan and Bushnell tools. It was a busy and rewarding day in which teachers listened patiently to my rationale, but also created connections with each other. A similar meeting on the East Coast in 2001 led to the creation of the New England Association of Woodworking Teachers. Who knows where this might lead.

In any case, I had a great day. It was a good day for hands on learning. I want to particularly thank Guild member Larry Wade for his working in organizing the symposium. I am thankful to have played a part in it, and today I begin a class in building a small cabinet with 8 students.

Make, fix, create, and extend to others the chance of learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment