Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Wooden Boat

Yesterday i addition to helping my students making boxes and turn on the lathe, I received my copy of Wooden Boat Magazine containing Joe Youcha's review of "The Wisdom of Our Hands." It is a good review. Joe wrote of the book—

"I read it in two big gulps, and as I did, I identified with the book’s message so much that I began making a list of everyone I thought should read it. By the time I finished, that list included anyone studying at a craft school, all the people I work with, and all the people I’ve ever taught. I especially wish I could buy copies for all the people who taught me, and who are no longer here. I actually want to buy it for everyone I know."

Joe Youcha, a graduate of Columbia University, but no stranger to handwork, is the founder of Building to Teach, a former director of the Alexandrea Seaport, and well known and respected in the Wooden Boat community. He is also the designer of the wooden boats we made at the Clear Spring School. Wherever there's enough water to float a boat, kids and adult mentors should be making them. Joe is the guide for that and more.

The photos show our students building a Bevin's skiff of Joe's design.

Make, fix and create...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment