Tuesday, February 19, 2019

the generosity of wood workers

Today I went to Wayne Capp's sawmill to pick up some white oak boards they had milled for me at my request. In addition to lovely wood (which I paid pittance for) Wayne gave me old steel band saw blades to use in making Damascus steel in the metals shop at ESSA, and a piece of curly figured cedar that he thought was pretty and that I might use for a box. 

While I was in St. Louis with their woodworking guild, I learned about their toy making program in which they have made and distributed over 62,000 toys to kids, thus far.

Then also while I was in St. Louis, the chairman of our annual auction committee sent me the photo of the segmented turned bowl, that came unsolicited from Tom Casey in Massachusetts. He had learned of our auction to support the school through facebook.

I attempt to describe how woodworking affects both intelligence and character. It makes us wiser than merely smart. It connects us in loving ways with each other and with the natural environment. If you don't know this already, get to know a woodworker in your community. He or she just might guide you toward a more fulfilling and meaningful life.

Make, fix, create, and assist others in learning likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment