Monday, May 28, 2018

industrious play.

What students do in the Clear Spring School wood shop could be called "Industrious Play." It is not play with no purpose in mind, but rather, play with a direct intention and tangible result. The objective is only partially to make things and develop skill. It is also to reinforce an "industrious disposition" in the child.

Conventional education may rob a child of his or her industrial disposition.

Yesterday, I, my wife and board members from our local community center used our pressure washer and wire brushes to clean glass bricks that will be given as rewards to founding members of the new Eureka Springs Community Center.

The photo shows two Froebel Gifts that were developed by an American follower of Froebel, Minnie Maud Glidden of Pratt Institute. These were given to me by Scott Bultman who is developing a documentary film series on Kindergarten. Yesterday he sent me a  link to a promotional video that I wish I could share. The time  for you to see it will come later. Gift D is the divided cylinder, and C are curvilinear building forms. Both sets fit neatly back into their boxes when you are finished with industrious play.

A college professor of education in the video says, "learning starts with impulse. By the time many of my students arrive in my class, impulse has been trained out of them." The "sit still and learn" approach is not working.

Today I will be at work on another chapter of my woodworking guide for teachers.

Make, fix and create.

No comments:

Post a Comment